[openstack-dev] [Congress] Stack trace returned to end user bug

Aimee Ukasick aimeeu.opensource at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:49:24 UTC 2016

Continuing my investigation:

1) I used an "older" installation of Congress on OpenStack.
The oslo.messaging version is 4.6.2.dev9, whereas the version on my
brand new DevStack installation is 5.10.0.
I ran the same CLI policy commands and no traceback was returned.

2) With a new devstack installation and the latest Congress code,
confirmed that API and CLI calls to datasource
and schema do not return traceback when invalid IDs are passed.
"datasource" appears to be the only one of the three displaying
user-friendly error information as expected.

3) The error/not found handling bug seems to be across all the Policy
CLI and API calls.

I put more info and examples into the Launchpad bug entry:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/congress/+bug/1620868

(This is a bug where I would really love to be able to remotely debug
using PyCharm instead
of the pdb command line debugger.)

I don't know oslo.messaging or the Congress code base well enough to
know exactly why the Policy error
response is different from datasource and schema. I will continue to
dig through the code and hopefully
find a solution.

aimee