[openstack-dev] [TripleO] *ExtraConfig, backwards compatibility & deprecation

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 12:31:11 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I wanted to draw attention to this patch:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/367295/

As part of the custom-roles work, I had to break backwards compatibility
for the OS::TripleO::AllNodesExtraConfig resource.

I'm not happy about that, but I couldn't find any way to avoid it if we
want to allow existing roles to be optional (such as removing the *Storage
role resources from the deployment completely).

The adjustments for any out-of-tree users should be simple, and I'm
planning to write a script to help folks migrate but we'll need to document
this in the release notes/docs (I'll write these).

Related to this is the future of all of the per-role customization
interfaces.  I'm thinking these don't really make sense to maintain
long-term now we have the new composable services architecture, and it
would be better if we can deprecate them and move folks towards the
composable services templates instead?

In particular, when moving to a fully containerized deployment using an
atomic host image, configuration of the host directly via these interfaces
will no longer be possible, so it will be necessary to get folks onto the
composable services interfaces ahead of such a move (as these will fit much
better with a container based deployment):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/330659/

What do folks think about this?  I suspect there's going to be some work
required to achieve it, but a first step would be to convert all the
in-tree ExtraConfig examples to the new format & update the docs to show how
customizations via composable services would work.

Then later we can update the docs & mark these interfaces deprecated
(during Ocata).

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Steve