[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:11:21 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> FWIW I agree with Jay that the wording "a product" is definitely
> outdated and does not represent the current reality. "Product"
> presupposes a level of integration that we never achieved, and which is,
> in my opinion, not desirable at this stage. I think that saying "a
> framework" would be more accurate today. Something like "OpenStack is
> one community with one common mission, producing one framework of
> collaborating components" would capture my thinking.

This is why I always have and presumably always will support Thierry on the
TC.  His initial thinking *frequently* seems out of alignment with me, but
after observing others healthy debate and discussion [1] - I always find we
tend we both come around a little and seem to be pointing in basically the
same direction in the end.  Thierry is *reasonable*.  Throwing out old
assumptions when new information is raised is an absolute imperative - and
here we see Thierry plainly and openly offering concession to a reasonable
counterpoint.

It's unfortunate just how often we have to see Thierry do this on behalf of
some other members on the TC!  In fact, sometimes I'm scared to imagine
just how much worse off OpenStack governance might be if it wasn't for the
small handful of reasonable individuals willing to subject themselves to
the pain of the political grind.

PTL announcements are coming out and TC announcements are coming up soon!

http://governance.openstack.org/

Let's make sure we get some more *reasonable* people in there to help out
Thierry!  Thank you Thierry for your service!

-Clay

1. Like many other OpenStack contributors - I try not to personally get
involved in these non-technical debates.  It's a huge distraction from the
mission; and for me personally I recognize I'm too passionate and
ineloquent to make any meaningful direct contribution anyway.  But I care
about the OpenStack mission; and I feel compelled as of late to do my part
to ensure reasonable people are focusing on the right things in OpenStack
governance.  OpenStack for Operators!