[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Sat Sep 10 14:53:13 UTC 2016

[amrith] Chris, I do not have the longer history that you have with OpenStack and therefore my comments below reflect this shorter tenure with the project.

I believe that there are two things that have motivated the writing of these documents at this stage. The first is a realization that the project has evolved organically and there are many things that are explicitly documented (rules for election of the TC, PTL's, ...) but there are equally well some other important things that are not documented.

Sitting in a room with a bunch of people in Ann Arbor, listening to the conversations at TC meetings on IRC, I got the impression that there were many fundamental things that people in the community did not have a common shared understanding about. I'm not implying that they were polar opposites, in many cases they were merely shades of gray, a few degrees apart. But yes, there were some where the impressions were certainly more divergent than others.

One of the core concepts that came out of the session(s) we had at Ann Arbor, and central to the theme of the leadership style that we were exposed to by the Zingerman's folks was the notion that an organization works effectively only when all people in the organization share a common set of values, principles, and goals.

It was in this context that after two days of hearing about this, that there was a collective belief that it would be good to get that shared common set of values, principles and goals for OpenStack. Now, that's a huge task and one small aspect of that was to write down some of the things that we felt were the OpenStack principles.

And I think that the writing down of these things has spurred a very important debate that has surfaced the fact that there are many different points of view expressed in the review, and in various email threads, about what these 'principles' really are.

Are we one OpenStack or not, is a good example.

I agree with you, it is important for all of us to visit these reviews as you suggest in your email.

Let me just make one other point, you write:

> I fear that discussion will also obsess over the details.

Within reason, I don't think this is bad. The devil is, literally, in the details.