[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Thiago da Silva thiago at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 21:06:43 UTC 2016

On 09/09/2016 04:27 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> Tomato, tomato.
>
> We're all, I think, looking at this "One OpenStack" principle from
> different perspectives.  You say "a toolkit". I say "a project".
> Thierry said "a product". The important word in all of those phrases
> is "a" -- as in singular.
Doug, I'm not sure I can agree with you on that. To use a simple
example, I could buy *a* remote control car that is very well defined by
the manufacturer or *a* kit that allows me to build a remote control car
the way I want, which would probably look very different.

But I *think* what you are getting at, and I agree that we (as a
community) need to discuss and have a better understanding, is that this
discussion is really about the autonomy of the projects that make
openstack. If it's one product, then projects have very little autonomy,
but if they are a federation, they problably have more autonomy. Reading
over the IRC chat from 2011 that ttx posted in a earlier email, it
seemed that the vote was also about that very issue.

Thiago