[openstack-dev] [nova] What would you like to ask users in order to plan Ocata development?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Sep 9 20:58:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> I have some questions, but wanted to send this out for broader input from the
> team since I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking of on a Friday
> afternoon.

If we're just brainstorming here's some from off the top of my head.
Some of these have probably been done before but doing them
regularly is probably good.

I'm really glad you've asked the "are microversions working for you"
question. I wonder if it can be asked in a way that makes it more
straightforward to answer?

Some ideas:

- If nova were divided into more, and more separated, services would
   you think this is a positive or a negative?

- Should orchestration (for example associating a network or a
   volume with a VM) happen in an API call to nova, as multiple
   calls to separate APIs, or by a call to a "porcelain" layer
   that is "above" nova and other services and makes calls to them?

- Is it more important for Nova to fix bugs or add features?

   (You had this one in you list but this is more direct.)

- Should the openstack project start on a backwards incompatible
   greenfield compute service that people can choose to use while
   maintaining nova (bug and security fixes)?

   (If you're gonna ask, may as well throw a hail mary.)

--
Chris Dent               ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)        https://anticdent.org/