[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

John Davidge John.Davidge at rackspace.com
Fri Sep 9 19:58:23 UTC 2016

Jay Pipes wrote:

>[…]
>The TC doesn't comply with anything at all. It's the body that is
>elected to make overarching governance decisions for the OpenStack
>community.

Sure, that's an important distinction. My point is that when governance
decisions are made that seem to contradict each other, it can be difficult
to follow.

>> This is the
>> moment that OpenStack stopped being: ³A single product made of a lot of
>> independent, but cooperating, components.² And became: ³A collection of
>> independent projects that work together for some level of integration
>>and
>> releases.²
>
>You are mistaken, I'm sorry to say.

That's entirely possible. The review we're all debating highlights that
the intentions and realities of OpenStack are not easy to agree upon.

>Firstly, your statement that OpenStack stopped being "a single product"
>at some point is just flat-out wrong. It never *was* a single product,
>regardless of whether some time in 2011 seven individuals on the project
>policy board said that that was the direction they preferred the
>community to go in.

As Thierry pointed out, 'A single product made of a lot of independent,
but cooperating, components' is the closest thing we currently have to a
common philosophy. The review[1] in question is attempting to codify this
into our governance policies. The opinion of the TC seems to be that this
is what were currently are. I disagree with that assessment - it sounds
like you do as well. I take your point about OpenStack never being a
single product to begin with. The distinction I would make is that The Big
Tent was the first time a governance decision was made to undermine that
goal.

>Secondly, the Big Tent was about changing the process by which new
>projects applying to become "OpenStack projects" were evaluated by the
>TC. We went from a situation of evaluating new projects using
>subjective, often contradicting and changing opinions on architectural
>and software design to instead evaluating new project teams on whether
>the project team followed "The OpenStack Way" (followed the 4 Opens and
>furthered the mission of OpenStack)
>
>The Big Tent **was not a redefinition of what OpenStack was or is**.

In theory, perhaps. In practice, I'd say that it was. Prior to The Big
Tent there was a clear distinction between which projects were OpenStack,
and which projects were OpenStack-in-waiting (Stackforge). A problem that
The Big Tent seemed to be solving was that there wasn't always a clear
path for a given Stackforge project to become an OpenStack project. I
don't think the problem was the path, but the goal. The expectation was
that Stackforge projects would eventually graduate into OpenStack
projects, but with the definition/requirements of OpenStack at the time
that didn't always make sense. So we changed what it meant to be an
OpenStack project. Perhaps what we should have done is define a new place
for such projects to land.

>Sounds to me like you are just complaining about OpenStack having too
>many projects in it. If so, please tell us which projects you would have
>leave OpenStack.

Yes, that's a part of what I'm saying. After writing my first reply I
decided there wasn't much point talking about the problem without
proposing a solution, so I wrote one[2]. Essentially it boils down to:

* Abolish The Big Tent
* Define OpenStack as its core components
* Create a new place for complimentary projects to live
* Bring back Stackforge

The link[2] below goes into a lot more detail, and I'd love to hear
feedback from all interested parties.

>My vote is definitely for something #2-like, as I've said before and on
>the review, I believe OpenStack should be a "cloud toolkit" composed of
>well-scoped and limited services in the vein of the UNIX model of do one
>thing and do it well. I believe that vendors and cloud providers should
>be able to choose services and tools from this OpenStack cloud toolkit
>to build clouds, cloud products, and products that utilize OpenStack
>service APIs to please customers.

So it seems we both agree that the current definition doesn't fit, even if
we don’t agree on the solution :)

Thanks,

John

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357260
[2]
https://johndavidge.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/mr-openstack-tear-down-this-te
nt/

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.