[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

John Davidge John.Davidge at rackspace.com
Fri Sep 9 10:22:53 UTC 2016

Thierry Carrez wrote:

>[...]
>In the last years there were a lot of "questions" asked by random
>contributors, especially around the "One OpenStack" principle (which
>seems to fuel most of the reaction here). Remarks like "we should really
>decide once and for all if OpenStack is a collection of independent
>projects, or one thing".
>
>A lot of people actually ignore that this question was already asked,
>pretty early on (by John Dickinson in June 2011). Back then it was
>settled by the PPB (the ancestor to the TC). You can read it all
>here[1]. It was never brought again as a proposed change to the TC, so
>that decision from June 2011 is still defining how we should think about
>OpenStack.
>
>Most of the TC members know the governance history and know those
>principles. That is, after all, one of the reasons you elect them for.
>But we realized that the people asking those questions again and again
>were not at fault. It was our failure to *document* this history
>properly which caused the issue. Took us some time to gather the courage
>to write it, then finally Monty wrote a draft, and I turned it into a
>change.

To provide a counter point, I think the reason this question is asked so
often is not because the TC has failed to *document* this policy, but that
it has failed to *comply* with it.

I¹m of course referring to the introduction of The Big Tent. This is the
moment that OpenStack stopped being: ³A single product made of a lot of
independent, but cooperating, components.² And became: ³A collection of
independent projects that work together for some level of integration and
releases.²

This is in direct contradiction to the stated and collectively understood
goal of the project, and has left many scratching their heads.

The principles as written in the review do not accurately describe the
current state of the project. To make it so that they do, we either need
to change the principles or change the project. As I see it, our options
are:

1. Adjust the project to reflect the principles by abolishing The Big Tent.
2. Adjust the principles to reflect the project by redefining it as: ³A
collection of independent projects that work together for some level of
integration and releases.²

Personally, my vote is for option 1.

John

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.