[openstack-dev] venting -- OpenStack wiki reCAPTCHA

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 9 01:36:20 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-09 01:10:15 +0000 (+0000), Bhandaru, Malini K wrote:
> Is it just me who likes to hit the save button often?
> It gets tedious proving often that you are not a robot. Wiki
> reCAPTCHA likes proof even if saves are spaced less than a minute
> apart!
> Wiki Gods, hear my plea!

I sympathize. That captcha addition is one of several tools we're
leveraging currently to combat the ongoing spam/scammer/vandalism
problems on wiki.openstack.org, as an alternative to shutting it
down completely. Unfortunately even now I still spend a chunk of
every day blocking new accounts created by abusers and cleaning up
all their modifications, but am hoping that with other improvements
we have pending the onslaught will lessen and we can revisit some of
the more intrusive mechanisms on which we've been forced to rely
(for example, I think we should be able to configure it so that
users whose previous edits have been confirmed by a wiki admin are
added to a group that bypasses the captcha, and then get a team of
wiki groomers in the habit of adding known good accounts to that
group).
--
Jeremy Stanley