[openstack-dev] [stable] [all] Regarding string freeze and back ports involving translatable strings

Ravi, Goutham Goutham.Ravi at netapp.com
Fri Sep 9 00:05:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was looking for some clarity around backports of bug fixes that qualify the stable branch policy [1].<http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes> What is the policy if the fix introduces a new translatable string or modifies an existing one?
The guidelines in Release management [2]<http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html> regarding string freeze do not specifically call this scenario out. I see that while translatable strings are mostly avoided, some projects have been merging changes to stable branches with introduction of new translatable strings.

The question is reminiscent of one posed in the ML a few releases ago [3];<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/073942.html> but applies to stable branches. Should we allow changes to translatable strings for bug fixes that matter, or is it better to always deny them for the sake of translation accuracy?

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/release-management.html
[3] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/073942.html

Thanks,