[openstack-dev] [ironic] Future of cleaning when in maintenance mode

Vladyslav Drok vdrok at mirantis.com
Thu Sep 8 19:13:56 UTC 2016

On 8 Sep 2016 10:12 a.m., "Dmitry Tantsur" <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 09/07/2016 05:25 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> Today while playing with my installation I noticed that we do try to run
>> cleaning for nodes in maintenance mode. This leads to a somewhat
>> confusing result, because we no-op heartbeats for such nodes. So
>> cleaning gets stuck in "clean wait" forever [1].
>>
>> However, it seems like some folks find it a convenient feature. This way
>> they can ask Ironic to boot the ramdisk and make it wait for operator's
>> commands. It's a fair use case, but I still find the current situation
>> confusing.
>>
>> We've ended up with these few options:
>>
>> 1. Ensure we don't run cleaning for nodes in maintenance mode. I've
>> proposed a patch [2] banning most of provision verbs from working in
>> maintenance. However, we still want to allow deleting an instance, which
>> still results in cleaning.
>>
>> 2. On receiving a heartbeat in {CLEAN,DEPLOY}WAIT and maintenance on
>> [3], move the node to {CLEAN,DEPLOY}FAIL (optionally without powering it
>> off, so that IPA stays running).
>

> It looks like this approach does not cause contention, so I'll look into
it first. I will keep patch for option #1 around as well, in case we want
to explore it.

Yes, this is what makes the most sense to me with leaving the possibility
to launch ramdisk, so my vote is for #2. Thanks Dmitry!

https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/ironic/drivers/modules/agent_base_vendor.py#L474-L478
.