[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Edward Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Sep 8 17:02:29 UTC 2016

On Sep 8, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Chris Dent <cdent+os at anticdent.org> wrote:

> The writing is starting from a detailed proposal which, as txx said in
> his response to me above, presents itself as a document that is "meant
> to document *existing* principles that we operate under but never
> documented properly. It's not really about a new set of rules, or really
> changing anything".
>
> That is, it thinks of iself as an existing truth to be ratified.

I think that you've made an excellent case for exactly the sort of process that is being followed. Let me explain.

As Monty explained, the document is the result of the TC realizing that there were many things that were part of their shared understanding, but which were not necessarily things that a newcomer to OpenStack would realize. The document they are creating is simply a way to capture that tribal knowledge so that it is discoverable by everyone.

While I'm not a member of the TC, I have been closely following it for a few years now, and attend nearly every meeting. So I had some additional context that you might not have, and thus had a very different reaction to the document. The more that these things are recorded and available to all, the better it will be for the community, which is something that I know you violently agree with. :) This is just the first step in the documentation process of where we are today, so that everyone has a common starting point for discussing where we would like to be in the future.

-- Ed Leafe