[openstack-dev] [all] governance proposal worth a visit: Write down OpenStack principles

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Sep 8 12:10:23 UTC 2016

Chris Dent wrote:
> There's a governance proposal in progress at
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/357260/ that I think is worth a
> visit by anyone interested in the definition and evolution of
> OpenStack's identity and the processes and guidelines used in OpenStack.
>
> I'm assuming that not everyone regularly cruises the governance
> project so this thing, which is pretty important, has probably not
> been seen yet by many community members. It is full of many
> assertions, some probably controversial, about what OpenStack is and
> what we get up to.
>
> At the moment a lot of the reviews are obsessing over the details and
> interpretations of various phrases and paragraphs. This is in
> preparation for a later presentation to the community that ought to
> engender a long email thread where we will discuss it and try to ratify.
> I fear that discussion will also obsess over the details.

Yeah, as I commented on the review I wanted to get to a draft that was
complete enough and reflected the current thinking of the TC, before we
started a wider discussion on the ML. That said, we seem to only discuss
details at this stage, so it's probably time to start a wider discussion
on those.

I wanted to do one more patchset to take into account the latest round
of comments before starting the thread, but now is as good to start it
(yay, less work).

One thing to remember when reading this change is that it's meant to
document *existing* principles that we operate under but never
documented properly. It's not really about a new set of rules, or really
changing anything.

Please share your thoughts on the review or this thread !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)