[openstack-dev] [keystone][oslo][release][requirements][FFE] global-requirements update to positional to 1.1.1

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Sep 8 03:29:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 07, 2016 at 08:10:45AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
> https://review.openstack.org/366631
>
> The combination of oslo.context 2.9.0 + positional 1.0.1 (which is the
> current minimum requirement) results in various unit test failures in
> barbican, related to parsing of request headers in generated contexts
> for unit testing.  Updating to 1.1.1 resolves this issue.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of exactly what these failures are and how
they can be fixed.  I'd ask why we didn't catch them sooner but that boils down
to us not actually testing our lower-bounds.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.context/+bug/1620963 indicates that they're
unit test failures but elsewhere I saw functional tests mentioned.  Have we
uncovered a real issue or a testing defect?

> This is specifically affecting barbican and RDO testing (from discussion
> and the review).
>
> The reason I think an FFE is needed is because downstream packagers,
> while encouraged to package based on upper-constraints sometimes don't.
> Meaning they'd miss something like this.

Yeah it's complex.  We've stated several  times that this is the contract we
make with downstream that we test with u-c and that's our reccomendation for
packaging.  While I agree that we shoudl test our minimums that's not a thing
we can do right now[1]

I agree that it's wrong to state our minimum is 1.0.1 when we *know* that it's
1.1.1, I'm not convinced the know that yet.

> Arguments against are that this will have knock on effects down the line
> (will require re-releases and re-re-releases because of updating things
> like keystone (this is deep in the depgraph)), so is bad from a release
> team work point of view.  Also, I think this just effects testing, so
> the impact of this is more minor than something more serious (not JUST
> breaking testing).

Here's my summary of the changes needed to bump the minimum[2]

Package      : positional [positional>=1.0.1] (used by 4 projects)
Re-Release   : 4 projects
openstack/keystoneauth                        [type:library]
openstack/keystonemiddleware                  [type:library]
openstack/oslo.context                        [type:library]
openstack/python-keystoneclient               [type:library]

Each of those 4 libraries have stable/newton branches that only contain updates to .gitreview
origin/master         : keystoneauth1===2.12.1
origin/master         : keystonemiddleware===4.9.0
origin/master         : oslo.context===2.9.0
origin/master         : python-keystoneclient===3.5.0

So if we take the g-r change we'd need to release

keystoneauth1===2.13.0
keystonemiddleware===4.10.0
oslo.context===2.10.0
python-keystoneclient===3.6.0

All of which would be accepted by global-requirements

I know during the requirements meeting I sdaid I was worried about secondary
release effects but if I follow correctly they'll be minimal.

I guess that's a long way of saying we need someone that knows about
oslo.context and hopefully barbican to look at this

Yours Tony.

[1] I just had an idea for a crazy hack that might kinda work to generate
    lower-constraints.txt something to look at Ocata :)
[2] If we don't do this befoer we branch stable/newton then we *can't* do it.