[openstack-dev] [cinder] moving driver to open source

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:47:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Alon Marx <ALONMA at il.ibm.com> wrote:

> I want to share our plans to open the IBM Storage driver source code.
> Historically we started our way in cinder way back (in Essex if I'm not
> mistaken)

​You're mistaken, Cinder didn't exist at that time... but it's irrelevant.
​

> with just a small piece of code in the community while keeping most of the
> driver code closed. Since then the code has grown, but we kept with the
> same format. We would like now to open the driver source code, while
> keeping the connectivity to the storage as closed source.

​It might help to know *which* driver you are referring to.  IBM has a
number of Storwiz and GPFS drivers in Cinder... what drivers are you
referring to here?​

> I believe that there are other cinder drivers that have some stuff in
> proprietary libraries.

​Actually we've had a hard stance on this, if you have code in Cinder that
requires an external lib (I personally hate this model) we typically
require it to be open source.

I want to propose and formalize the principles to where we draw the line
> (this has also been discussed in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/341780/)
> on what's acceptable by the community.
>>

> Based on previous discussion I understand that the rule of thumb is "as
> long as the majority of the driver logic is in the public driver" the
> community would be fine with that. Is this acceptable to the community?

​No, I don't think that's true.  It's quite possible that some people make
those sorts of statements but frankly their missing the entire point.

In case you weren't aware, OpenStack IS an OPEN SOURCE project, not a
proprietary or hybrid project.  We are VERY clear as a community about that
fact and what we call the "4 Opens" [1].  It's my opinion that if you're in
then you're ALL in.​

[1]: https://governance.openstack.org/reference/opens.html
​