[openstack-dev] [nova] using the qemu memory overhead in memory resource tracking or scheduling

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at ericsson.com
Tue Sep 6 11:26:27 UTC 2016

Thanks for the pointer. I added some constant but nonzero overhead
to the libvirt driver impl but it seems to me that this overhead calculation
happens against the overall memory pool on the compute.
I have 1G pages for instances and I have kept some 4k memory
for the host OS. The qemu memory overhead is allocated from the 4k
memory. If the compute runs out of 4k memory but still have free
1G pages then the claim is successful as overall there is free memory
however qemu or the host OS can fail as there is no free 4k memory.

Cheers,
gibi