[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova][neutron][all] Rolling upgrades: database triggers and oslo.versionedobjects

Steve Martinelli s.martinelli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 23:22:04 UTC 2016

> On 09/02/2016 01:53 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
>> Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2016-09-02 12:15:33 +0200:
>
> I agree with Sean: increasing the variety of technologies used increases
>>> the system complexity, which in turn requires more skills to fully
>>> understand and maintain operationally. It should only be done as a last
>>> resort, with pros and cons carefully weighted. We really should involve
>>> operators in this discussion to get the full picture of arguments for
>>> and against.

Two quick remarks about involving operators. First, see Matt Fischer's
reply to the thread, we have a great operator-developer experience with
Matt (he was one of the first folks looking at Fernet tokens), he
volunteered to out any triggers we write on his MySQL Galera cluster.
Secondly, the use of triggers was brought up at the OpenStack Ansible
midcycle, where several operators were present, and as I understand it,
felt positive about the idea.