[openstack-dev] [Neutron][qos] Question about behavior expectations if network policy is set

Michael Micucci micucci at midokura.com
Fri Sep 2 07:27:49 UTC 2016

Hey all,

Quick question: If I have a network and a port, and neither has any QOS
policy set, and then I change the network to set the qos_policy_id,
should this new QOS policy affect traffic on the already-created port?
In other words, is this a network default for future ports (like with
port_security_enabled) which would only affect ports created on this
network from here on out (but leave already-created ports untouched)?
Or is this a network setting which takes effect for all ports,
regardless if they were already created or not?

If the latter, the question had come up, this seems to mean that if a
net policy is set, then there is no way a port can be set to have no
policy, because if you unset a port's specific policy, it will fallback
to the network policy, rather than skip policy calculations altogether.
So, what does one do if they want all ports on a net to follow Policy X,
EXCEPT for a single port?

I would say the first question is the most important for me to
understand the behavior, with the second question as a further
clarification.

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,

Michael Micucci