[openstack-dev] [nova][keystone] auth for new metadata plugins

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri Sep 2 00:48:58 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/31/2016 07:56 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>
> There is a quick sketch of what a service account might look like at
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/363606/ -- I need to do some more
> fiddling to get the new option group working, but I could do that if we
> wanted to try and get this into Newton.
>
> So, I don't think we need it.  I think that doing an identity for the new
> node *in order* to register it with an IdP is backwards:  register it, and
> use the identity from the IdP via Federation.
>
> Anything authenticated should be done from the metadata server or from
> Nova itself, based on the token used to launch the workflow.

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. The flows would be something like
this:

 - Instance boot request
   - Initiating user token is available, and is passed through to the
vendordata REST service
   - Metadata _might_ be generated, if the instance is using config drive

 - Metadata request from within the instance (any use case not using config
drive)
  - No user token, this is just cloud-init running on the instance,
although it could be other client software too
  - We don't have a token to pass to the vendordata REST service, so we
currently pass nothing, keystone middleware denies request

So, its those post-boot requests from inside the instance that have me
concerned.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia