[openstack-dev] [Zun][Higgins] About container image

Hongbin Lu hongbin.lu at huawei.com
Thu Sep 1 20:26:41 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This is a continued discussion about the container image solution in Zun. Currently, when a user request to create a container (i.e. zun create --image <image_name>), the Zun compute agent will pull the image from docker hub or a private docker registry (depends on the image prefix). We are investigating how to support alternative image store (i.e. Glance). After several discussions, we came up with the following idea:
* Introduce a special prefix 'glance/'. If an image has the special prefix (i.e. glance/busybox), Zun compute agent will pull the image from Glance instead of Docker Hub.
* If there is no special prefix, the image will be pulled by the container runtime as before (i.e. docker.pull).

We also discussed if we should add the following operations at client side:
* zun push <image>: push an image from user's local filesystem to remote (i.e. Glance)
* zun pull <image>: pull an image from remote to user's local filesystem
* zun build <image>: build a container image at user's local host.

Thoughts?

Best regards,
Hongbin