[openstack-dev] [Neutron][networking-sfc] need help on requesting release for networking-sfc

Cathy Zhang Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com
Thu Sep 1 19:03:13 UTC 2016

Thanks for all your response.

We would like to have the stable branch pulled from a git commit.
Shall we use the git hash of that commit for the intended git hash in the release request?

I am confused about the following statement in the release guide.
"You need to be careful when picking a git commit to base new releases on. In most cases, you’ll want to tag the merge commit that merges your last commit in to the branch. This bug shows an instance where this mistake was caught. Notice the difference between the incorrect commit and the correct one which is the merge commit. git log 6191994..22dd683 --oneline shows that the first one misses a handful of important commits that the second one catches. This is the nature of merging to master."

What is meant by " tag the merge commit"? How do we tag a git commit on our master branch?

Thanks,
Cathy