[openstack-dev] [keystone][nova][neutron][all] Rolling upgrades: database triggers and oslo.versionedobjects

Michael Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Thu Sep 1 18:40:37 UTC 2016

On Thursday, September 1, 2016, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> I don't read that at all as suggesting "the problem is solved, go
> away" but rather "help us make it better for everyone, don't just
> take one project off in a new direction and leave the others
> behind."

I can clarify.  I don't work directly on glance or keystone, I do oslo.db,
sqlalchemy, and alembic development.   If it's decided that the approach is
"no special technique, just query more columns and tables in your data
access layer and straddle across API versions", that does not indicate any
new patterns or tools in Oslo or further up, hence "solved" in that the
techniques are already available.  If OTOH we are getting into triggers or
this idea I have to do Python level translation events at the write side,
that indicates the need for new library features and patterns.

I've been tasked with being ready to assist Nova and Neutron with online
migrations for over a year.   Other than helping Neutron get
expand/contract going, I've not been involved at all, and not with anything
related to data migrations.   There hasn't been any need.