[openstack-dev] Openstack Mitaka + neutron openVswitch + VMware-NSX plugin

Gary Kotton gkotton at vmware.com
Mon Oct 31 13:12:32 UTC 2016

Hi,
There are a number of different Neutron VMware plugins. These are as follows:

-          NSXv – this is a NSX plugin for vSphere only. This requires the NSX to be installed.

-          NSXv3 – this is a NSX plugin for a multi hypervisor environment. The following hypervisors are supported:

o    KVM

o    ESX

o    HyperV

-          DVS – this is a very simple plugin that provides isolated tenant networks. This plugin does not have security group and routing support. The purpose of this was to enable a cloud admin to get the ‘look and feel’ of Neutron and to be able to have basic network connectivity. Having said that it works pretty well ☺. This plugin requires the DHCP and metadata agents.

The NSX and NSXv3 plugins do not require any agents. They have native DHCP and metadata support. From the requirements below it sounds like you need the NSXv3 plugin.
Thanks
Gary