[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible] Debugging slow Xenial gate

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Fri Oct 28 09:02:36 UTC 2016

On 10/28/2016 10:17 AM, Major Hayden wrote:
>> Also, when running the tests on both systems, track cpu usage and number
>> > of threads to see if one has more restrictions than the other.
> Almost no difference here.

On the topic of threads, the sysbench output from both Trusty and Xenial are nearly identical with the exception of threads.  Trusty is usually about 15-20% faster on that benchmark than Xenial.

That leads me to rule out a few things:

  1) It's probably not python that is slow since it affects sysbench, too
  2) The kernel version doesn't seem to make a difference
  3) The way python was compiled doesn't matter (I tried pyenv)
  4) Kernel tunables (via sysctl) look very similar, especially with regard to threads

I also ran the full suite of tests from nova and got these results:

  Trusty: 375 seconds
  Xenial: 531 seconds

--
Major Hayden