[openstack-dev] [vitrage][aodh] about aodh notifier to create a event alarm

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Wed Oct 19 07:21:52 UTC 2016

From: "dong.wenjuan at zte.com.cn<mailto:dong.wenjuan at zte.com.cn>"
Date: Wednesday, 19 October 2016 at 09:21

The BP of aodh-message-bus-notifications[1] was blocked as Aodh message bus notification.
As the discuession of Vitrage and Aodh in etherpad[2], only the Aodh alarm_deletion notification is missing.
I proposed a patch to add the Aodh alarm_deletion notification.[3]
Please help me to review this patch.
Do the alarm.creation, alarm.state_transition and alarm.deletion satisfy the Vitrage requirement?
I'd like to help to implement the aodh-message-bus-notifications BP if there is nobody interest in it.

This is more complex. Aodh has a mechanism for registering a URL to be notified when the state of a specific alarm is changed.
Vitrage asked for something else - a notification whenever *any* alarm state is changed. In Vitrage we don’t want to register to each and every Aodh alarm separately, so we prefer to get the notifications for all changes on the message bus (as we do with other OpenStack projects). In addition, there is currently no notification about a newly created alarm, so even if we register a URL on each alarm we will not be able to register it on the new alarms.

About the Aodh custon alarm:
What about the alarm type as `prompt` or something else like this, which means the alarm
is fired with no evaluation. And the metedata include the `source_id` means which source
the alarm is on?

This is more or less what we had in mind. Be able to control the state change externally + add metadata to the alarm (resource_id and optimally other information).

[1]https://blueprints.launchpad.net/vitrage/+spec/aodh-message-bus-notifications
[2]https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/newton-telemetry-vitrage
[3]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/387754/