[openstack-dev] [requirements][lbaas] gunicorn to g-r

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Tue Oct 18 16:51:55 UTC 2016

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 10:41 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/18/2016 02:44 AM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>> For the record uwsgi was not (at least at one point) allowed in g-r as
>> it was not a "runtime dependency" it was to be installed more like
>> apache mod_wsgi at the time. Gunicorn could fall into the same category,
>> it is meant to be used in conjunction with the runtime but not be a hard
>> requirement for the runtime itself.
>
> Except that it can be used as a python module.
>
> If it's only a "binary runner", then I don't think we even need to care,
> as we could replace it by apache or uwsgi, and it's an implementation
> detail that could even be left to package maintainers (I don't know the
> exact details of Octavia here though…).

This is for Octavia’s service VM image, not it’s mainline API service (which uses pecan and all the normal stuff.)

It’s true that packagers can create their own service VM images, and run whatever they like, but we must do something for the ref implementation that runs in the gate. And at present, we’ve chosen gunicorn, because the built-in server in flask is flaky in our CI tests.

doug