[openstack-dev] [requirements][lbaas] gunicorn to g-r

Doug Wiegley dougwig at parksidesoftware.com
Tue Oct 18 02:12:45 UTC 2016

On Oct 17, 2016, at 6:44 PM, Morgan Fainberg <morgan.fainberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2016 17:32, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org <mailto:zigo at debian.org>> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/17/2016 08:43 PM, Adam Harwell wrote:
> > > Jim, that is exactly my thought -- the main focus of g-r as far as I was
> > > aware is to maintain interoperability between project dependencies for
> > > openstack deploys, and since our amphora image is totally separate, it
> > > should not be restricted to g-r requirements.
> >
> > The fact that we have a unified version number of a given lib in all of
> > OpenStack is also because that's a requirement of downstream distros.
> >
> > Imagine that someone would like to build the Octavia image using
> > exclusively packages from <your-favorite-distro-here>...

Right, so, we’re dancing around the common problem in openstack lately: what the heck is openstack?

This came up because service VMs/data plane implementations, which this is, have different requirements than API services. Paths forward:

1. Add gunicorn to global requirements.

2. Create a project specific “amphora-requirements.txt” file for the service VM packages (this is actually my preference.) It has been pointed out that this wouldn’t be kept up-to-date by the bot. We could modify the bot to include it in some way, or do it manually, or with a project specific job.

3. Split our service VM builds into another repo, to keep a clean separation between API services and the backend.  But, even this new repo’s standlone requirements.txt file will have the g-r issue from #1.

4. Boot the backend out of OpenStack entirely.

Thanks,
doug