[openstack-dev] [keystone][qa] PCI-DSS (security compliance tests)

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri Oct 14 16:10:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016, at 08:21 AM, Rodrigo Duarte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently in keystone we got merged the PCI-DSS feature [1]. Basically, we
> have new settings that enforce password security practices. For example,
> if
> we set the password history setting to 2, a user won't be able to update
> its password to one of the last 2 that have been set in the past.
>
> The issue is that, this settings, can break a couple of tests in Tempest.
> Assuming the non-admin users in this tests don't affect any other test,
> I've inserted a "security_compliance" feature flag and skipped the
> portion
> of the tests that can break when the PCI-DSS settings are enabled [2].
>
> With that, I've pushed another patch that sets these settings upon
> DevStack
> deployment [3] and added the actual tests for the feature at [4]. So we
> have a "tempest -> devstack -> tempest" chain of patches dependencies.

Curious why the tests for this wouldn't go into the keystone functional
job [5] which appear to run as a tempest plugin? Testing of these
features shouldn't require any other service, just keystone right
(though this job does start and run other services)? One big reason I
ask is it could help constrain the testing of non default behaviors of
keystone to a single job rather than needing to edit a bunch of other
jobs or create new jobs just to toggle the non default behavior.

> I want your feedback regarding this, if this approach is acceptable and,
> if
> not, what are the options.

I don't really know which approach is more preferable but I think that
functional testing is an option too.

> Thanks!
>
> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/pci-dss

[5]