[openstack-dev] [QA] The end-user test suite for OpenStack clusters

Ghanshyam Mann ghanshyam.mann at nectechnologies.in
Fri Oct 14 00:47:27 UTC 2016

I like os-faults library which can provide the abstraction over different destructive actions like reboot/poweroff node etc.

But not much clear about Stepler that what all tests it will contain. Tempest do have scenario tests which can hit the production env with significant way of testing scenario.
It can cover the end user scenario also which involves the interaction of public OpenStack APIs and always in enhancement state by adding more and more scenario tests.

Few query over Stepler as separate project:

1.       Is Stepler will cover only tests which hits the node level action(reboot, HA etc)?

2.       This should not mix the scenario tests which are in Tempest scope because that can make confusion for developers (where to add scenario tests) as well as for tester(from where to run what scenario tests).

3.       How we make sure those tests run fine or at least run while adding.

a.       I think devstack enhancement for multi-node etc can do this as mentioned by you also.

b.      If so then why not adding those tests in Tempest only using os-faults lib ?

Overall I feel os-faults  as lib is really nice idea but tests scope can go in Tempest under HW_scenario  (or something else) till it does not break basic principle of Tempest.

Thanks
gmann