[openstack-dev] [nova] Propose to add FusionCompute driver to Nova

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 14 00:04:38 UTC 2016

On 10/13/2016 3:02 AM, Zhenyu Zheng wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We would like to propose FusionCompute driver to become an official Nova
> driver.
>
> FusionCompute is an computing virtualization software developed by
> Huawei, which can provide tuned high-performance and high reliabilities
> in VM instance provisioning, clustered resource pool management, and
> intelligent HA/FT scheduling.
>
> The concepts and technical details for FusionCompute could be found in:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/FusionCompute
>
> Huawei has been working on integrating FusionCompute and OpenStack since
> Folsom release using Nova-FusionCompute driver. FusionCompute has been
> successfully deployed as the hypervisor within Huawei's FusionShpere
> Openstack Cloud Operation System solution in large number of commercial
> private and public clouds running stable for several years, including:
>
>  *Deutsche Telekom - Open Telekom Cloud*:
>  http://www.cebit.de/en/news/open-telekom-cloud-is-live.xhtml
>  https://www.telekom.com/media/company/291108
>  http://www.huawei.com/en/news/2016/3/dian-xin-yun
>  https://cloud.telekom.de/en/cloud-infrastructure/open-telekom-cloud/
>
>  *Telefonica LatAm Public Cloud*:
>  https://www.business-solutions.telefonica.com/es/information-centre/news/telefonica-and-huawei-reach-a-global-agreement-to-promote-enterprise-migration-to-the-cloud/
>  http://www.lightreading.com/services/cloud-services/telefonica-and-huawei-debut-latam-public-cloud/d/d-id/726571
>  https://www.huawei.com/th-TH/news/2016/9/Telefonica-Brazil-Mexico-Chile-Cloud-Serve
>  https://www.cloud.telefonica.com/en/
>
>  *Huawei Enterprise Cloud:*
>  http://www.hwclouds.com/en-us/
>
>  *China Telecom Public Cloud:*
>  http://www.ctyun.cn/
>  http://www.ctyun.cn/product/oos_e
>
>  *Other cases can be found in*:
>  http://e.huawei.com/en/case-studies?product=Cloud%20Computing
>
> As mentioned above, FusionCompute has been proved to be with high
> reliability and large user base, thus we would like to propose
> FusionCompute driver to Nova as an official Nova driver.
>
> We have tried to propose this back in 2014, blueprint and discussions
> can be found in:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/driver-for-huawei-fusioncompute
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/026075.html
>
> We have set up the ThirdPartyCI:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ThirdPartySystems/Huawei_FusionCompute_CI
> and adjusting it to Nova, it will be online very soon.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kevin Zheng

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I think at a minimum we're
looking for:

1. Available source code in GitHub. I'd recommend going the route of the
PowerVM driver in git.openstack.org and get it into the openstack
namespace and start doing your development in the open.

2. Third party CI. You could/should be running this on your driver
changes in #1 above.

This basically sounds like a cluster driver like vCenter and PowerVC
which poses scheduling and resource tracking issues which we've
regretted from an architectural standpoint, so adding another driver
that relies on this model is not attractive.

Are you also going to be proposing a Cinder storage driver and/or a
Neutron ML2 plugin?

Matt Riedemann