[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG space request

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hpe.com
Thu Oct 13 10:51:52 UTC 2016

On 12/10/2016 10:31, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Emilien Macchi wrote:
>> I would like to request for some space dedicated to TripleO project
>> for the first OpenStack PTG.
>>
>> https://www.openstack.org/ptg/
>>
>> The event will happen in February 2017 during the next PTG in Atlanta.
>> Any feedback is welcome,
>
> Just a quick note: as you can imagine we have finite space at the event,
> and the OpenStack Foundation wants to give priority to teams which have
> a diverse affiliation (or which are not tagged "single-vendor").
> Depending on which teams decide to take advantage of the event and which
> don't, we may or may not be able to offer space to single-vendor
> projects -- and TripleO is currently tagged single-vendor.
>
> The rationale is, the more organizations are involved in a given project
> team, the more value there is to offer common meeting space to that team
> for them to sync on priorities and get stuff done. If more than 90% of
> contributions / reviews / core reviewers come from a single
> organization, there is less coordination needs and less value in having
> all those people from a single org to travel to a distant place to have
> a team meeting. And as far as recruitment of new team members go (to
> increase that diversity), the OpenStack Summit will be a better venue to
> do that.
>
> I hope we'll be able to accommodate you, though. And in all cases
> TripleO people are more than welcome to join the event to coordinate
> with other teams. It's just not 100% sure we'll be able to give you a
> dedicated room for multiple days. We should know better in a week or so,
> once we get a good idea of who plans to meet at the event and who doesn't.

For me, this is somewhat concerning. When the PTG was proposed, It was
suggested as a replacement for Mid Cycles, with a design summit at the
right point.

I thought it was a good idea, but I never thought that we would have a
situation where there was a possibility to turn away projects that:

a) Traditionally had mid cycles
b) Was an active user of design summit space.

What I am getting from this is a very real chance that some projects
will now have 3 things in a 6 month cycle they need to do.

PTG - to do cross project work (If I had to fly transatlantic for 2
days of cross project, with no room for my project after that, I would
not be happy)

Mid Cycle / Self Hosted design summit - as we do not have space anymore
at the traditional summit, or the PTG

Traditional Summit - close the loop with users / Ops / employer tasks.

If I proposed this I might get 2 of 3, and I know what I would be
dropping (hint - its the one with 24 hours of traveling for maybe 16
hours of face to face).

I foresee quite a lot of cross project disengagement from smaller teams
if this is how we are going to proceed.

We are also getting back to the old catch-22 issue we had in the
incubation / integration days - its harder to get diversity of
contributors up, if a project are not at the PTG, but the project
won't be guaranteed space, due to the lack of diversity.