[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 08:30:44 UTC 2016

On 10/12/2016 08:47 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Jaesuk Ahn's message of 2016-10-12 15:08:24 +0000:
>> It can be cheap if you are in the US. However, for Asia folks, it is not
>> that cheap considering it is all overseas travel. In addition, all-in-one
>> event like the current summit makes us much easier to get the travel fund
>> from the company, since the company only need to send everyone (tech, ops,
>> business, strategy) to one event. Even as an ops or developers, doing
>> presentation or a meeting with one or two important company can be very
>> good excuse to get the travel money.
>>

> This is definitely on the list of concerns I heard while the split was
> being discussed.
>
> I think the concern is valid, and we'll have to see how it affects
> attendance at PTG's and summits.
>
> However, I am not so sure the overseas cost is being accurately
> characterized. Of course, the complications are higher with immigration
> details, but ultimately hotels around international hub airports are
> extremely cheap, and flights tend to be quite a bit less expensive and
> more numerous to these locations. You'll find flights from Narita to
> LAX for < $500 where as you'd be hard pressed to find Narita to Boston
> for under $600, and they'll be less convenient, possibly requiring more
> hotel days.

The bit about hotels contradicts my whole experience. I've never seen hotels in
big busy hubs cheaper than in less popular and crowded cities. Following your
logic, hotels e.g. in Paris should be cheaper than ones in e.g. Prague, which I
promise you is far from being the case :)

> Also worth considering is how cheap the space is for the PTG
> vs. Summit. Without need for large expo halls, keynote speakers,
> catered lunch and cocktail hours, we can rent a smaller, less impressive
> space. That should mean either a cheaper ticket price (if there is one
> at all) or more sponsored travel to the PTG. Either one of those should
> help alleviate the concerns about travel budget.

For upstream developers ticker price was 0. Now it will be > 0, so for companies
who send mostly developers, this is a clear budget increase.