[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 10:18:30 UTC 2016

On 10/12/2016 11:59 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Qiming Teng wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 10:39:11PM -0500, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
>>> One of reasons we created PTG in the first place is that Summit became
>>> big and expensive, and project developers had harder and harder time
>>> attending it due to budget issues.
>>
>> So a trip to PTG is really cheaper than summit? Is the PTG one
>> sponsored by someone?
>
> PTGs happen in more cost-effective locations, airport hubs with cheaper
> hotels, which should lower the cost of attending. Yes, I'm pretty sure
> traveling to Atlanta downtown for a week will be cheaper than going to
> Barcelona, Boston or Sydney downtown for a week.

A friendly reminder that there is a world outside of the US ;) </kidding>

Yes, I understand that your statement is true for most of the developers, but
for EU folks the next year offers 4 overseas travels. I'm pretty sure most of us
will only make to either PTG or the summit. And it's not only budget: my family
said firm NO to me going to both events, for example :)

And while PTG will surely be cheaper than the Summit, the Summit is not going
away (for marketing, management, few developer representatives), so the total
expense is unlikely to drop IMO.

>>> [...]
>>> PTG becomes very important for project team, summit arguably will
>>> become less important as many of developers will be able to afford
>>> only PTGs.
>>
>> Summit is less (or just NOT) important to developers, emm ... that is
>> true if 1) the team knows exactly what users/ops want so they don't even
>> bother interact with them, just focus on getting things done; 2) the
>> person who approves your trip request also believes so.
>>
>>> If we say that "Don't expect Ops at PTG", that means
>>> OpenStack dev community will become even more disconnected from Ops
>>> community.
>>
>> Wasn't that part of the plan? [...]
>
> Yes, the plan is (amongst other things) to make sure that upstream
> developers are available to interact with users (operators, but also app
> developers...) during the very week where *all* our community gets
> together (the OpenStack Summit). Currently we try to get things done at
> the same time, which results in hard choices between listening and
> doing. By clearly setting out separate times for each activity, we make
> sure we stay focused.

Sorry, but to me it's extremely unrealistic to expect a big number of developers
on the Summit any more. Sending folks to both events doubles the travel budget,
and I know that many companies have struggles with sending people to one event
already.