[openstack-dev] PTG from the Ops Perspective - a few short notes

Michał Jastrzębski inc007 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 03:39:11 UTC 2016

Hello Tom,

I must say I think this is bad news - especially for projects like
Kolla - ops centric.
One of reasons we created PTG in the first place is that Summit became
big and expensive, and project developers had harder and harder time
attending it due to budget issues. PTG would offer many of these devs
opportunity to talk to their peers, other project developers and build
OpenStack dev community. If project attends PTG, and most of them
plans to (again, Kolla included), that is a travel for project team.
If we hold 2 PTGs per year, that's big hit on travel budget (but still
smaller than summit).

PTG becomes very important for project team, summit arguably will
become less important as many of developers will be able to afford
only PTGs. If we say that "Don't expect Ops at PTG", that means
OpenStack dev community will become even more disconnected from Ops
community. Let's not forget that OpenStack is ultimately operators
tool, they need to care for it and in my opinion having close
relationship with them is extremely important for good of project. If
we raise cost of keeping this relationship, that might really hurt
OpenStack.

Cheers,
Michal