[openstack-dev] [ironic][neutron] ML2 plugin for Ironic needs

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Tue Oct 11 11:52:14 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Vasyl Saienko <vsaienko at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hello Community,
>

> Ironic and Neutron projects have become integrated even closer with
> multitenancy implementation in Ironic.
>
> There are 2 bugs that require separate ML2 driver specifically for Ironic
> needs:
>

> Booting ironic instance, Neutron port remains in down state [0]
>
> Ironic needs to synchronize port status change events with Neutron [1]
>

> I was told (commented) that keeping code in Neutron tree is not right
> approach [2]. Of course I agree that Neutron has powerful and flexible
> support of out-of-tree ML2 drivers and such functionality must be a separate
> ML2 plugin.
>

> So the question to consult with the whole community:
>
> Do we need a new networking-ironic-* ML2 driver?
>

> To fix [0] and [1] we can use existing networking-generic-switch [3] ML2
> driver [4,5]. It was designed specially for Ironic case. It already helps us
> to test Ironic multitenancy on the gates.
>

> My team would prefer supporting one driver without multiplying entities.

So I think I said before I'd prefer this to be a separate repo.

Thinking about it more, if we'll be doing [1] in the ML2 driver, this reinforces
it for me. Other ML2 drivers (like Arista's) may want to also make callbacks
to ironic, so I think it's best for the community if the callback bits
are a separate
library. Which means to me that it isn't much work to maintain a separate
driver to fix [0], since the code for [1] will be a library anyway.

That said, I'm still open to the fix for [0] being in networking-generic-switch,
if that's what the community prefers. As long as the callback mechanism
is a library so other vendors can use it. :)

I think I'd be fine with putting some/all of these under ironic governance,
so that the community can help maintain it, but we can have a separate
conversation about that.

// jim