[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Oct 10 14:19:50 UTC 2016

On 10/10/2016 10:13 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2016-10-10 09:23:43 -0400:
>> On 10/10/2016 08:37 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> We had a lot of feedback that the unstructured discussion time from
>>> the Friday "meetups" at the summits were the most productive time
>>> for teams, but I'm sure there are quite a few cases like what you
>>> describe. Maybe the solution is to schedule part, but not all, of
>>> the PTG time?
>>>
>>> It would be hard to say that a particular day is or is not scheduled,
>>> because not all teams will have rooms available to them every day.
>>> We could slice it the other way, though, and say that multi-project
>>> topics should be scheduled in the morning. That still leaves all
>>> of the afternoons for less structured discussions. Of course, not all
>>> teams will necessarily have multi-project topics.
>>>
>>> We could also just say, as I think Thierry was hinting at elsewhere
>>> in this thread, that each team should publish its own schedule of
>>> topics using some sort of unconference-like system (notecards on a
>>> board, etherpad, whatever). That might make it harder to resolve
>>> conflicts, though.
>>>
>>> What do other folks think?
>>
>> I feel like when we went down this path for the PTG, one of the
>> assurances was that it would be unstructured time, like the midcycles,
>> which is very productive. Having a long running etherpad is fine (and
>> kind of expected), but I think building timeboxing in before the event
>> seems odd.
>>
>> There are so many unknowns here, but taking away one of the primary
>> things that made midcycles productive for people in teams, to optimize
>> for track hopping, seems odd.
>>
>> If there are topics that span teams, there are 2 days up front. Ensuring
>> there is space to expand topics into there would be good, and not just
>> make those horizontal effort days.
>>
>>     -Sean
>>

> So you're proposing that we use time on Monday and Tuesday for
> multi-project as well as cross-project discussions? That works for
> me.  It may mean some folks who were planning to skip those and
> arrive later in the week will show up earlier and participate in
> more discussions.
>
> Do we have space for those sorts of meetings on Monday and Tuesday?

Yes, or at least allow some flexibility for it. I think scheduler
service breakout would be a good topic to fit into there (one of the
examples listed earlier). The kinds of things we know will impact a set
of projects.

On the technology/support from, it feels like it would be good to have
the equivalent of meeting bot running for every room the entire time
(maybe in project channels?). So that #topic and #agree could be
recorded there and broadcast in a way that it would be easy for everyone
to see.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague