[openstack-dev] [nova] FYI, nova plans to have a room at the PTG in February

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Oct 10 12:37:53 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Duncan Thomas's message of 2016-10-10 14:47:12 +0300:
> On 7 October 2016 at 19:53, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>

> > My hope was that it would be "the summit without the noise". Sounds like
> > it will be "the summit without the noise, or the organization".
> >
> > I'd really like to see time boxes for most if not all of it, even if many
> > of the boxes are just half a day of "work time" which means "we want to
> > work on stuff together without the overhead of less involved participants."
> >
> > The two days of cross project is awesome. But there are also big
> > single-project initiatives that have cross-project interest anyway.
> >
> > For instance, the movement of the scheduler out of Nova is most definitely
> > a Nova session, but it has ramifications for oslo, performance, neutron,
> > cinder, architecture, API-WG, etc.  etc. If we don't know when Nova is
> > going to discuss it, how can we be there to influence that discussion?
>

> I've got to agree entirely here. I am mostly interested in cinder stuff,
> but I've interest and a stake in specific nova and glance topics... getting
> involved in those is going to be impossible without some sort of schedule.

We had a lot of feedback that the unstructured discussion time from
the Friday "meetups" at the summits were the most productive time
for teams, but I'm sure there are quite a few cases like what you
describe. Maybe the solution is to schedule part, but not all, of
the PTG time?

It would be hard to say that a particular day is or is not scheduled,
because not all teams will have rooms available to them every day.
We could slice it the other way, though, and say that multi-project
topics should be scheduled in the morning. That still leaves all
of the afternoons for less structured discussions. Of course, not all
teams will necessarily have multi-project topics.

We could also just say, as I think Thierry was hinting at elsewhere
in this thread, that each team should publish its own schedule of
topics using some sort of unconference-like system (notecards on a
board, etherpad, whatever). That might make it harder to resolve
conflicts, though.

What do other folks think?

Doug