[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of turbo-hipster CI

Joshua Hesketh joshua.hesketh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 02:03:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:39 AM, Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:

> > Having said that, I think Dan Smith came across a fairly large
> > production DB dataset recently which he was using for testing some
> > archive changes, maybe Dan will become our new Johannes, but grumpier of
> > course. :)
>
> That's quite an insult to Johannes :)
>
> While working on the db archiving thing recently I was thinking about
> how it would be great to get t-h to run this process on one of its
> large/real datasets. Then I started to wonder when was the last time I
> actually saw it comment.

So if it's missed something important please let me know and we can look
into it. On the other hand with specific cases like this (as mentioned
earlier) we can test it individually as a special case.

> I feel like these days Nova, by policy, isn't doing any database
> migrations that can really take a long time for a variety of reasons
> (i.e. expand-only schema migrations, no data migrations). That means the
> original thing t-h set out to prevent is not really much of a risk anymore.
>
> I surely think it's valuable, but I understand if the benefit does not
> outweigh the cost at this point.

With nova being more careful of big migrations it does seem the effort is
beginning to outweigh the benefit.