[openstack-dev] [elections][tc]Thoughts on the TC election process

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Oct 4 21:54:58 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Ed Leafe's message of 2016-10-04 16:38:50 -0500:
> On Oct 4, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>
> >> 1) Allow time between the nominations and the voting. Half of the candidates don’t announce until the last day or two, and that doesn’t leave very much time to get to know them.
> >
> > It seems like a reasonable idea, but why limit the period where we
> > discuss these "big issues" to a week or so every 6 months?
>
> Well, we can (and should) certainly discuss issues as they arise. But the nature of electing a representative is periodic, so that you can get back to your job, and let those who are elected do the actual work. If the conversations aren’t happening when the people who are voting are most likely to be paying attention, then it’s just a small group talking amongst themselves. And those elected may not represent the voters as well as they might.

It's definitely a tough thing to balance. I can understand that not
everyone has the same amount of time (or interest) to spend on the
issues, of course.  So far the TC has avoided rushing any given
decision to give space for discussion and input from as many sources
as possible.  I'm not opposed to a focused period of time for
discussions around elections, but I guess I hope for folks to be a
little more engaged throughout the cycle.

Doug