[openstack-dev] [osc] [openstackclient] No stable branch backports/releases ?

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Tue Oct 4 20:46:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

Some puppet modules and by extension TripleO currently have a Newton
release critical issue [1] in the latest release of OSC, 3.2.0 as per
upper-constraints of stable/newton [2].

This problem was fixed in master [3] and at this time, OSC has not had
a tagged release with this fix in.
When attempting to backport the fix to stable/newton [4] in hope of
seeing it released (in 3.2.1 or something), we were told the
following:

> The stable branches exist as a requirement of the release process, not because we want them.
> We have never had a policy of backporting bug fixes, it has always been critical security fixes only.

What does this mean ?
Pretend a 3.2.1 is tagged from the tip of the master branch with the
fix included, is that expected to be tested and released in U-C of
both master and stable branches?
If the new release isn't bumped in upper-constraints of stable
branches, are projects and distributions expected to go beyond what is
tested with U-C at their own risks ?

Is OSC somewhat meant to be branchless and work with every release a
bit like Tempest ?

Would appreciate some input so we know what to do.

Thanks,

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-openstackclient/+bug/1619274
[2]: https://github.com/openstack/requirements/blob/93d32db347b07a973d9fd8ddc648c7469eae23bc/upper-constraints.txt#L303
[3]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/364518/