[openstack-dev] [nova] VIF plugin issue _get_neutron_events

Ajay Kalambur (akalambu) akalambu at cisco.com
Tue Oct 4 17:56:56 UTC 2016

Hi
When booting Vms with 3 interfaces and when port binding happens quick enough I sometimes see that the first VM booted on a compute node gets stuck waiting for VIF plugging event but looking at the neutron logs the notification is sent and also nova responded with a 200 OK.

When looking at the code in nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py we see in spawn() there is a call to _create_domain_and_network which calls _get_neutron_events

So in what scenarios can this notification happen to soon or is there a race condition somewhere in this code wherby even though neutron sends the notification and nova responds the code here blocks for 300 seconds since it missed the event.

Any clues on what maybe going on here. Its almost like the neutron notification happened too quickly while nova code was busy performing create_image

This happens only with the first VM on a compute node

Any ideas on how to fix this

Ajay