[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Binary Package Dependencies - not only for Python

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 4 17:02:08 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-04 18:22:10 +0200 (+0200), Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
[...]
> When I execute 'bindep test’ locally, I get the following error on centos7.2
> which is expected:
>
> Bad versions of installed packages:
>     sqlite version 3.7.17-8.el7 does not match >=3.8
>
> I would think that this output is passed to apt-get in the gate. But then I
> see the following failure in gate:
>
> http://logs.openstack.org/06/381906/3/check/gate-neutron-pep8-ubuntu-xenial/148dcd8/console.html#_2016-10-04_15_57_36_846699
[...]

We hashed this out just now in #openstack-infra, but the quick
summary is that version specifiers with bindep are sort of
experimental. They were added as part of its initial design but the
first implementation was dpkg-only and made some assumptions about
how distros track available vs installed package versions that
couldn't easily be extended to other platforms. As a result, when we
started adding rpm (and then later emerge) support, we pretty much
just punted on version handling until someone actually turned up who
needed it and was willing to do the work to add it in a useful
cross-platform manner. For now at least, version specifiers have
poor coverage in bindep's unit tests and no coverage in its
functional tests and have probably bit-rotted on us.

It's on me that I forgot we actually mention version constraints in
the bindep documentation, with no indication that they aren't a
first-class feature at the moment. Anyway, it sounds like you may
have time and interest to help us get this supported properly (at
least for rpm-based platforms), so I'm thrilled and looking forward
to working with you toward that goal. Thanks again!
--
Jeremy Stanley