[openstack-dev] [nova] Future of turbo-hipster CI

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Oct 4 12:49:35 UTC 2016

On 10/3/2016 11:29 PM, Joshua Hesketh wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Quick bit of background. Turbo-hipster is a 3rd party CI system that
> runs nova's database migrations against real datasets to try and catch
> real-world problems.
>
> When it was initially written the state of migrations in nova would
> cause a lot of pain for deployers (such as very long downtimes while
> upgrades were performed or just not working at all). Since then nova has
> made conscious efforts to minimise this time and are generally aware
> when implementing a necessary migration may cause large downtimes and
> attempt to work around it where possible.
>
> turbo-hipster used to run against every change in nova. This was to
> catch changes that may have affected migration performance as a side
> effect. However for the last few months turbo-hipster has only been
> running against changes modifying files in nova/db/*. Any changes
> outside of there that causes pain can likely be reverted.
>
> As a note, turbo-hipster is currently not running due
> to https://review.openstack.org/#/c/374307/ until I have time to update
> the datasets used.
>
> The question now is whether or not to continue running. Is there still
> value in running turbo-hipster? It uses significant resources and it
> feels that developers have learned the lessons it was designed to teach.
>
> Not running it increases the risk a migration will fail or take a very
> long time for a real user, but turbo-hipster is far from perfect anyway
> and only tests a couple of datasets so that risk is still there.
>
> Are nova developers still getting value out of turbo-hipster or has it
> achieved its goal and is it time for it to retire?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

I honestly forgot it existed. We have had some proposed database
migrations come up which were a bit controversial, e.g.:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248780/

So it would be nice to have something big to test these out while
considering them. We used to have Johannes for manual test runs on
migration changes but he's no longer around.

So I guess I'm fine with not having t-h anymore since I didn't even
notice the absence for the last couple of releases, but I worry a bit
about not having a large test dataset for manual runs.

Having said that, I think Dan Smith came across a fairly large
production DB dataset recently which he was using for testing some
archive changes, maybe Dan will become our new Johannes, but grumpier of
course. :)

Matt Riedemann