[openstack-dev] [tc] open question to the candidates

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 4 02:10:13 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-03 15:30:56 +0000 (+0000), gordon chung wrote:
[...]
> the TC has historically been a reactive council that lets others ask for
> change and acts as the final approver. do you believe the TC should be a
> proactive committee that initiates change and if yes, to what scope?

I view the TC as both a technical body to which individuals can
request input on OpenStack-wide concerns or appeal decisions made in
an individual project with implications on the community as a whole,
and also a force for change with a tempered view of OpenStack's
overall direction along with perspective on our community's
strengths and weaknesses. The only direct control the TC is able to
exercise in this regard is addition/removal of governance tags and
inclusion/exclusion of official ("big tent") status for teams.
Fortunately, as elected representatives of our community the
opinions of the TC carry weight with decision-makers throughout not
only individual project teams, but also the OpenStack Foundation
Board of Directors and employees in many member companies.

> more generally, what are some specific issues you'd like the TC address
> in the coming year?
[...]

Out of fairness I've avoided reading any other candidates' responses
yet, so forgive me if I end up repeating points they've also made.

Similar to the sitting TC, I agree general leadership tasks such as
improving cross-project collaboration among developers or recording
previous assumptions based on the community's oral tradition (so we
can all reconcile, evaluate and even disagree with and subsequently
improve those) are important, as are specific initiatives like our
much-overdue Py3K support or API consistency. Per my platform
statement, I also believe increasing solidarity between OpenStack
and the rest of the greater free software community is critical, and
so is ensuring ease of involvement and contribution from
unaffiliated volunteers, distro package maintainers and our end
users and operator/deployers. Another thing I'd love to see is the
TC weighing in more actively on software freedom concerns, for
example encouraging driver support in official projects to embody
the spirit of our license choice rather than merely the letter of
that license.
--
Jeremy Stanley