[openstack-dev] [all] Why do we have project specific hacking rules?

Amrith Kumar amrith at tesora.com
Sun Oct 2 10:47:51 UTC 2016

It was my understanding that hacking rules were like the 'Ten Commandments', the 'Four Opens'; things that were universally true across all projects and an attempt to bring standardization to all OpenStack code.

How come we then have extensive project specific hacking rules? Why not make these "nova-specific" rules OpenStack wide?

I looked at the checks.py file that Matt linked to below, and I can't see anything really "nova-specific"; i.e. all of them would translate just fine to Trove. Is there some reason they can't become OpenStack wide rules?

-amrith