[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Allowing Teams Based on Vendor-specific Drivers

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Tue Nov 29 20:19:13 UTC 2016

On 29/11/16 01:24 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> If we start by assuming that contributors may end up getting more
> value from seeming to be a part of the community than the community
> will get from their participation, and that we have to guard against
> that because it somehow diminishes us, it seems like we would be
> rejecting the notion of having an open community in the first place.
>
> Not every useful contribution is going to come from someone with
> the time to participate 100%, or even 50%, upstream.  Not every
> useful contribution is going to be code changes to the core components
> of a project.
>
> I know that our experience with third-party CI for some vendors has
> been poor in the past. I don't believe the answer is to tell all
> vendors to go away.
>
> As long as we clearly communicate to users how drivers are tested,
> and who owns failures, collaborating with vendors who only have the
> resources (or interest) to contribute a driver shouldn't be considered
> a burden. If they want more influence over the direction of a
> project, they need to participate at a level to make it possible for
> them to have that influence. In the mean time, I see no harm in making
> it possible for them to participate at the level of commitment they're
> ready to make.

i like this summary.

we had this issue in Ceilometer with our compute pollsters. we wanted to
support polling from all the different hypervisors but obviously the
members of the core team were not necessarily hypervisor experts. we
were in the strange scenario where cores were reviewing stuff that we
didn't necessarily understand. it also didn't really make sense to make
someone a ceilometer core if all they wanted was a quick patch to
capture a metric in one of the hypervisors.

with ceilometer-powervm[1], the IBM team wrote their own driver which
matched our api requirements but they managed everything themselves in
another project with the appropriate testing. we just added their
project as an externally-managed project in our wiki.[2]

i don't recall why they were moved to be officially under the Telemetry
umbrella[3] but i remember they weren't allowed to do something if they
weren't part of an 'official' project. if i could remember what it was
this paragraph would be a lot more useful.

[1] https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer-powervm
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Telemetry#Externally_Managed
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245894/

cheers,