[openstack-dev] [glance][oslo] oslo.log 3.17.0 use_stderr default change

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:55:56 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com>
Reply: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>, OpenStack Development Mailing
List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Date: November 28, 2016 at 00:19:36
Subject:  [openstack-dev] [glance][oslo] oslo.log 3.17.0 use_stderr
default change

> Hello Glance team!

Hello Tony!

> About a month ago the oslo team released 3.17.0 of oslo.log which contains [1]
> which switches the default for use_stderr from True to False. It hasn't made
> it into upper-constraints.txt because glance is failing[2]. There are 2 easy
> fixes:
>
> 1) switch the glance test to look at stdout rather then stderr ; or
> 2) update the glance config files to explictly set "use_stderr = true"
>
> I feel like Option 2 is correct as clearly preserves the existing behaviour the
> operators/deployers can opt out if they want.

So, I'm not entirely certain we actually want use_stderr on for
everything by default. If you look at that failing test, it's
asserting there's stderr output from running one of Glance's
administrative commands (in this case glance-replicator, but it could
apply to any of the other ones). I think, what we *probably* want is
just to have stderr default to True for commands in glance.cmd
(probably excluding glance-api and glance-registry) so that operators
running those commands continue to see output.

I've been looking at this a little, and I think what we want is to do

   CONF.set_override(name='use_stderr',  default=True, enforce_type=True)

Does this sound reasonable to everyone else? If so, I already made
https://review.openstack.org/403775 which does this and adds an
upgrade release note to document the change.

I don't want it to be merged without appropriate discussion, so I've
-1'd the Workflow.

--
Ian Cordasco