[openstack-dev] [new][nimble] New project: Nimble

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 00:16:56 UTC 2016

On 11/25/2016 04:41 AM, Zhenguo Niu wrote:
> hi all,
>
> We are pleased to introduce Nimble, a new OpenStack project which aims
> to provide bare metal computing management.
> Compared with Nova, it's more bare metal specific and with more advanced
> features that VM users don't need, it's not
> bounded by Nova's API.
>
> As we know, Ironic API should never be exposed to end users, users have
> to talk to Nova to request a bare metal compute
> instance even if you're only providing bare metal, even if it's only
> internally, you still have to talk to nova, Ironic doesn't have
> a concept of users, tenants, and quotas. Nimble wants to decouple
> virtualization and baremetal technologies by breaking
> baremetal computing management into its own set of application program
> interfaces.
>
> Not only does Nimble provide pre-set configuration servers, but it also
> wants to support RSD(Rack Scale Design) which makes
> it possible to dynamically compose physical resouces.
>
> For more information, including architecture, use cases, etc., are
> described on the project wiki [0].
> And please feel free to browse our source code [1][2].

I'm a little confused why you are choosing to create a new RESTful API
service instead of working to adapt Ironic's existing API, or
alternately, working with the Nova team to add features that you feel
were/are necessary for baremetal management.

What were the primary reasons you decided not to work with either (or
both) of the Ironic or Nova communities?

-jay