[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Exposing project team's metadata in README files

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Fri Nov 25 17:15:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Just a heads up for everyone. The work on this front has moved forward and
> the
> badges are now being generated as part of the governance CI[0].
>
> You can find the list of badges here[1] and the pattern is quite obvious,
> the
> name of the image is based on the project repo name.
>
> I've edited the README files for all repositories listed in the
> projects.yaml
> file and I've started to submit these patches[2]. I'm not a fan of "viral
> changes" but I've done my best to explain what's changing, provide
> references
> and examples on the commit message. These changes are being submitted using
> the
> tag 'project-badges'[2].
>
> Note that these badges are *JUST* a graphical representation of what's in
> the
> governance repo. If you don't want to have them in the README file, I guess
> it's
> fine. I'd, however, encourage everyone to add them to provide consistency
> and a
> more immediate information of what the project is about, what some of the
> project capabilities are and what its status is.
>
> Ideally this should also be added in projects documentation as well but I'll
> leave that to every team to do.

Thanks for doing the work to get this automated Flavio!  As a few
others have noted, I did not like the placement at the very top but I
understand it's not reasonably possible to automate this in a way that
find the idea insertion point.  For me at any rate, I've moved them
down to just under the first paragraph explaining the project.

One other important thing that's missing however is the :alt: tag
underneath the image.  For accessibility purposes (and considering
this is all automated anyway) I don't think these badges should be
merged without text describing the image.

-Christopher