[openstack-dev] [Rally][all] Gitter as an alternative way for communication

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 25 10:51:44 UTC 2016

Andrey Kurilin wrote:
> I'm happy to announce our new chats at gitter.im <http://gitter.im> :
> [...]

While I understand where you're coming from, I would like to remind you
that the OpenStack community standardized on IRC for community
communication. Maintaining alternate communication channels might make
it slightly easier for your team members, but it makes it more difficult
for others in the OpenStack community to follow what is happening, and
participate to Rally development. This is why as part of the official
OpenStack project team requirements we have usage of IRC baked in.

IRC is a standard protocol, implemented in a lot of open source clients.
Alternatives like Slack or Gitter are closed-source services with terms
of use (and future decisions on openness and pricing) that may or may
not be acceptable by our community members -- using them creates
fragmentation within the OpenStack community.

That is not saying that IRC is perfect and that we will never move to
something else. But when we do, it will be as a community (and after an
open community discussion) and not project per project. It is also
likely to be toward an open protocol supported by open source software,
rather than one specific third-party proprietary web service.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)